This company was established in the year 2000 in line with the objective of developing large-scale petrochemical projects within the framework of Iran's Third Economic Development Plan. Zagros petrochemical complex, located on a 25-ha plot of land in Pars Special Economic Energy Zone, has the annual production capacity of 3.3 million tons of Methanol, making it one of the largest producers of Methanol in the world. The required feed stock is supplied from phases 1, 2 and 3 of the South Pars Gas Field.
Two engineering and procurement contracts were signed with a consortium comprised of the German Lurgi and the Iranian PIDEC Company for the purpose of implementing the Methanol 4 and Methanol 6 Projects. These contracts were signed in 2001 (Methanol 4) and in 2003 (Methanol 6). In these projects, Lurgi was the supplier of technical knowhow and the basic engineering design, and PIDEC carried out the detailed engineering phase. All civil operations, together with the mechanical installations, were assigned to domestic contractors.
As the world's largest producer of Methanol, Zagros Petrochemical Co. - in addition to observing the high quality product standards – focuses particular attention to customer satisfaction and the strict observance of environmental principles.
Methanol has several uses in the downstream industries such as:
• Production of Formaldehyde and Formalin, used in household applications and for producing resins which are used in other downstream industries such as the manufacturing of kitchenware, cameras, electrical sockets as well as various types of industrial adhesives.
• Production of Acetic Acid, which is used for manufacturing various types of Cellulose Acetate, which are then used for the production of fibers and textiles with specific uses.
• Production of Methyl Methacrylate, which is used for manufacturing laminates and verni products, etc.
• Production of MTBE for the purpose of replacing tetraethyl lead (TEL) as octane enhancer in gasoline.
• Production of di-methyl ether (DME) as clean alternative fuel for the replacement of traditional diesel fuel.