Shiraz Petrochemical Co.

پتروشیمی شیراز

 

Shiraz Petrochemical Company, founded in 1959, is the oldest establishment in the petrochemical sector of the country. The complex, located on the outskirts of Marvdasht city in Fars Province, was constructed in an area of 297 ha, with 23,354 square meters of infrastructure. Since its establishment to current date, the company has conducted its production activities in three consecutive phases.
The first phase - consisting of gas, power plant and off-site units - was commissioned in 1963 and Soda Ash unit became operational in 1973, based on salt and calcium carbonate as raw materials. The products of the Soda Ash unit include Sodium Carbonate and Bicarbonate, widely used in glass and crystal industry, food and pharmaceuticals, paper, leather and fiber production. The second phase – consisting of Ammonia, Urea, Nitric Acid, Ammonium Nitrate – was commissioned in 1985. This phase includes complete off-site facilities, five steam boilers, five turbo-generators, and one emergency gas generator, in addition to water treatment , desalinated water units and cooling towers, and Argon unit which was commissioned in 1995.
The third phase include Methanol plant, the first Methanol unit in the country, which was commissioned in 1990. Currently, Methanol is used in the production of synthetic fibers, glue and resin, and MTBE.
The total nominal production capacity of Shiraz petrochemical complex is 1,786 million tons a year, with the actual annual production capacity at approximately 2 million tons.
The expansion of Shiraz Petrochemical Company consists of its third Ammonia / Urea project with annual capacities of 677,000 of Ammonia and 1,073 million ton of Urea under implementation. With the completion and launch of this project by 2015, the complex will achieve a total Urea production capacity of 1.5 million tons annually, making the company the second largest manufacturer of Urea in the country.